Friday, October 17, 2014

Pitt 21 - Virginia Tech 16


Okay, this is what I saw last night.

The Pitt Panthers, in desperate need of a decent showing and a victory after three straight losses, took on Virginia Tech, and behind solid, if not terrific, performances by Chad Voytek, James Conner, and Tyler Boyd, not to mention a defensive performance that kept Tech without a touchdown for the first 56 minutes of the game, the Panthers delivered up a 21-16 victory at Heinz Field last night.  Yeah, there were penalties and some poor turnovers, but it was an entertaining and exciting (perhaps a little too exciting near the end) football game.  I had a great time and went home happy.

Then, this morning I read Ron Cook's column in the Post-Gazette and realized what an awful, terrible and sloppy game it was, and how Pitt was just plain lucky to win.

Huh?  

I mean, was I even at the same game "Cookie" was at?

********

This is my second year as a season ticket holder for Pitt football, and generally speaking, I enjoy the experience of attending college football at Heinz Field.  I enjoy the company of the people in the ticket group, and while Heinz Field is no PNC Park, it is a comfortable place to watch a game, and the University does a nice job in making an effort to make game days a real "College Football Experience".  That said, going to a game on a Thursday night, just takes away a little something from that experience.  I'm sure it would have been different had Pitt not been coming off a three game losing streak, and a drizzle throughout the night didn't help.  Primarily though, I just think that college football games should be played on Saturday afternoons.

H2P!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment