Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The New Hall of Fame Class





The news arrived yesterday that four guys have been elected into Baseball's Hall of Fame: Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, and Craig Biggio.  Just missing election were guys like Mike Piazza, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, and, of course, all of the usual PED suspects.

First off, congratulations to Johnson, Martinez, Smoltz, and Biggio.  No question in my mind that these guys are Hall of Famers, so good for them.

I have been a big fan of the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown. I have made five visits to the place over the years, and will probably get there a time or two again before I am called to that great Bullpen in the Sky, but I have to tell you that one drawback of Social Media is that it gives everyone (including me) a forum to vent their opinions, and the endless parsings of things like Hall of Fame voting, who got in, who didn't get in, why didn't so-and-so vote for this-or-that guy, and, of course, this leads to the inevitable ramblings about guys like Pete Rose and Gil Hodges.  It can get tiring.

However, I guess that such debate is all a part of the fun.

As for me, I will look forward to getting my HOF plaque postcards this summer of the four new guys to add to my collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment